by Cooper Climate Control
Ask any homeowner about the challenges of maintaining a home, and he or she will likely tell you that controlling energy costs is definitely high on the list. To help you save both energy and money, we’ve outlined six easy-to-follow tips for your Valley-Metro home:
- Get an annual tune-up – To keep your heating and cooling equipment running smoothly and efficiently, have it checked out once a year by a licensed HVAC technician.
- Replace your air filter – When your air filter gets clogged up with dirt and debris that means it’s doing its job. Once it gets too dirty, though, your HVAC system’s energy efficiency is negatively affected as it must work harder. To solve this problem, switch out the filter when it becomes clogged, which usually takes one to three months.
- Use a programmable thermostat – If you want to take control of when your HVAC equipment switches on and off, you definitely want to install a programmable thermostat. Newer WiFi models can even be accessed remotely through the Internet or your smart phone.
- Install Energy Star qualified equipment – You should only use appliances, equipment and energy-efficient upgrades that carry the Energy Star label. For the “best of the best,” look into Energy Star’s new Most Efficient program, which has much stricter guidelines.
- Ensure proper installation – The most efficient equipment in the world won’t make much of a difference if it isn’t installed correctly. In fact, you could take a 30 percent hit on your efficiency. Do yourself a favor and hire a professional HVAC technician for heating and cooling system installation.
- Seal your ducts – Over time, tears and holes can develop throughout your home’s ductwork, leading to a sizable loss of energy. To avoid this, check your ducts and the joints and seal any leaks that you find. Insulate ductwork that runs through unconditioned areas such as a crawlspace or basement.
For more expert tips on controlling energy costs, or for other home comfort concerns, please contact your Heating & Specialists at Cooper Climate Control. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Ahwatukee, Scottsdale, Sun City and the surrounding area since 1993.